Nowadays, there is a diversity of social networks for exchanging, sharing, and edit photos or videos. Among these social networks, Instagram is a service of photo and video sharing, being very fashionable since several years.
You have the possibility to create your account for free and use it for as long as you want. But in case you want to permanently delete your account Instagram, (for free of course!), It will nevertheless be necessary to respect a certain procedure to complete the deletion of your IG profile.
Find out in this article how to delete Instagram account, in a snap.
How does an Instagram account work
The name Instagram (often abbreviated as IG) is a contraction of two English words: Instant Camera and Telegram (a message sent by telegraph, a long-distance communication mode dating from the 19th century).
The Instagram app is available in 25 languages, including French, English, Japanese, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, among others. In addition, it can be used on mobile devices such as Android, iOS, and Windows Phone. It is also possible to use it from a computer but with more limited services.
Along with Facebook and Snapchat, Instagram is surely one of the most used social networks to share everyday snapshots with loved ones. Bought by Facebook in 2012, which ensures its development to this day, this app has seen its success grow exponentially, by adding simple but ever more innovative tools to create creative and captivating content.
Instagram is proving to be a powerful advertising tool. Indeed, under the leadership of Mark Zuckerberg, the app has opened up advertising to all advertisers around the world.
Complementing Facebook, it is implementing various features to satisfy its customers. According to annual statistics, Instagram has grown from 400 million users in 2015 to more than one billion in 2020. Very quickly, Instagram has become a must-have for all photography enthusiasts, and everyone seems to be addicted to this app.
Even the celebrities, who have adopted it to show small glimpses of their everyday life to their fan community, cannot live without it. Instagram even has the merit of having “created” a new profession, the job of the influencer.
Through the sharing and division of captivating content, influencers’ accounts are followed by millions of subscribers and this ensures them income through partnerships with several brands. It is a very popular digital marketing practice, especially by large cosmetics or fashion companies.
Reasons to delete your Instagram account
Born as a simple photo-sharing application, Instagram has now established itself as the true reference for unearthing trends and trends in areas such as fashion, gastronomy, travel, etc. With the “stories” ( concept “stolen” from its sister app “Snapchat”) Instagram has taken a huge leap forward, attracting more and more audiences to its easy-to-use and immediate
However, on the other hand, some users can be bothered by this constant flow of information, sometimes very personal, and Instagram has often been the target of multiple criticisms, such as that of pushing a certain “voyeurism” towards other people’s lives, always displayed in detail.
Indeed, Instagram is experiencing a vast movement of disinterest, after remarkable beginnings. Celebrity Instagram hacks and the posting of very personal photos help to urge caution. In addition, users sometimes get tired of spreading their daily life around the world and give up using Instagram.
Deleting your Instagram account is then the best method to disappear from this social network considered unreliable.
Whether you are wanting to do that, or just want to take a break, follow our tips below to learn how to delete Instagram account on app, step by step.
How to delete an Instagram account on iPhone
To delete an Instagram account you have two choices, if you think you might be interested in Instagram again, it might be best not to delete your account, but just take a break.
In this case, a simple procedure allows us to simply “pause” the account by deactivating it temporarily. When you deactivate your account, your profile, your photos, your comments, will all be hidden. However, when you log back in, all of that information will be restored, and it will be as if you had never left.
To deactivate an account, nothing could be simpler, it is sufficient to follow these steps:
- Visit the Instagram website and sign in to your account.
- Navigate to your profile page and click on “Edit Profile” or login to “remove-request-temporary”
- Select “Temporarily deactivate my account” at the bottom of the page.
- Open the drop-down menu next to “Why are you deactivating your account” and select the option that best suits you.
- Enter your Instagram password again when prompted.
- Select “Temporarily deactivate the account”.
You can deactivate your account once a month at most and when you reactivate it, you will find it identical, no data having been deleted or destroyed.
Please note, however, that your account will be inaccessible for a while (a few minutes to a few hours) after the deactivation request. You will therefore not be able to deactivate and reactivate it immediately, you are likely to have a message that tells you that if you want to reactivate it: “We are not yet finished deactivating your account. ”
With this procedure, Instagram will keep all your data, if the account is only deactivated. If you are concerned about your privacy, the best solution is probably to delete your account permanently, knowing that this procedure is irreversible.
In that case, follow our tips on how to delete your Instagram account permanently.
How to delete Instagram account on the phone
If you have made up your mind and want to permanently delete your Instagram account, unfortunately, you will not be able to do it directly through the app. You will need to use a browser on your Smartphone, whether you have an iPhone or an Android phone.
The deletion of the account is an irreversible measure. When you delete your account, your profile, photos, videos, comments, and followers will be permanently deleted. You will not be able to reactivate it. Also, you will not be able to re-register with the same username or add the same username to another account.
For this reason, before deleting your account, you may find it helpful to take a few moments to download a copy of whatever you have uploaded to the platform.
To download your data:
- From the browser of your Ios or Android smartphone, you have to click on download request on your Instagram account;
- Enter your password and click on the “Request download” button. All the data linked to your account will then be collected and sent by Instagram for you to store.
Be aware that it can take up to 48 hours for Instagram to gather this data and send it to you, so be patient. Another solution to be less present, without deleting an Instagram account, is to select the private mode for your posts or to block the people you want to exclude.
By selecting “close friends” in the sharing options, your content will be visible only to a list of contacts selected by you. However, if that isn’t enough and you’re still convinced that you want to delete your account for good, read on to find out how.
How to permanently delete an Instagram account
Once you have downloaded all of your data, you would finally be ready to know how to delete Instagram account permanently account for good.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Delete the application from your iPhone or Android smartphone.
- From your smartphone browser, visit the Instagram website and sign in to your account.
- Select Accounts from your Account and next to request permanent which will take you to the “Delete your account” page.
- Open the drop-down menu next to “Why are you deleting your account” and choose the option that works best for you. Note that Instagram does not allow you to delete your account without choosing a reason for unsubscribing.
- Enter your Instagram password again when prompted.
- Select “Permanently delete my account”.
The reason why to delete or deactivate your Instagram profile
For your information, here are the reasons you can choose when you request to deactivate or delete your Instagram profile:
- I want to delete something
- Confidentiality issue
- I just need a break
- I created a second account
- I can’t find any account to follow
- Usage problem
- Too many advertisements
- Takes too long
- Something else
Note that Instagram will offer you a help page for each choice to convince you to continue using its application. Once you have completed this quick procedure, your account will be permanently deleted and it will no longer be accessible to the general public or to yourself. Instagram will erase your data permanently, as if your account never existed, without leaving any trace of it.
Many people seek to delete their accounts and the reasons given are quite valid. Indeed, apart from the privacy concerns related to the data stored by the application, it turns out that we are more and more connected and Instagram is an incredibly time-consuming application.
We spend a lot of time there without realizing it. For those who are unable to moderate themselves, deleting an account may be a solution.
How to protect your Instagram account privacy
Besides deleting your Instagram account, there are other things you can do to protect your online privacy when using social media. The first step is to be aware of your actions:
- The information you share on these is visible to everyone, so think twice before posting. Even with proper privacy settings, your privacy remains at risk as Instagram collects data on its users.
- There is often metadata associated with the photos you post, such as revealing details such as where the photo was taken and the date and time. You should know that your social media apps connect to other apps and this data sharing also exists between programs.
In general, and for any social network, remember that to protect your privacy, you can also do the following:
- Think before sharing: information posted on social networks is visible to everyone and therefore to a large number of people.
- Adjust your privacy settings: Adjust your privacy settings in apps to control how your information is shared and which remains private. If, however, after a moment of pause, you want to recreate a new Instagram account later, to
find your friends and images related to your interests, you can of course do so with a new username and rebuilding your network from scratch.
The procedure will be the same as the one followed when opening the account you just deleted permanently, but in this case, you can do it directly from the application, after installing it again on your smartphone.