How to repost on Instagram. If you want to repost on Instagram, you’ll find isn’t as easy as on other social networks. Unlike retweeting on Twitter or sharing on Facebook, you can’t just click to repost as Instagram doesn’t have a repost function.
There are ways to do it, but there are a few things to keep in mind. This article will take you through how to repost on Instagram, and the things to watch out for.
Why would you want to repost someone else’s content? Well, reposting is a great way to shake up your feed, as well as take the pressure off you to come up with original posts. It’s also a fantastic way to show that you appreciate the work of your peers. But it’s crucial to remember that from a legal point of view, reposting other people’s content is a grey area, and you need to have the right permissions before you do it.
According to Instagram’s Community Guidelines, “The best way to help make sure that the content you post to Instagram doesn’t violate copyright law is to only post content that you’ve created yourself.”
However, Instagram also says, “You might also be able to use someone else’s content on Instagram if you’ve gotten permission (for example, a license), or if your use is covered by fair use or some other exception to copyright.” The guidelines then get a little vague. “It’s generally a good idea to get permission before posting content, and to get that permission in writing.”
How that written permission might be sought isn’t outlined. And without proper guidelines, it seems the most practical solution is to simply ask the poster in a comment or DM. For example, “Hey, I love this post. Would it be okay if I repost?” Also bear in mind that the person posting the content may not actually own it.
If you do get permission to repost, you should always make sure that you post image credit. Simply tagging someone in a post is not enough.
How to repost video on Instagram
Most social media feeds are almost distractingly busy — full of photos, videos, and text updates from friends and brands you follow. Instagram is different — you can only look at one post at a time.
And while Instagram’s simple, clean interface makes it easy to focus on users’ beautiful photography and interesting videos, it also leaves something to be desired: the ability to easily repost other users’ content.
But fear not: for every problem, the internet has afforded a solution. We tested out different ways to repost content on Instagram in a few simple steps. All of these methods are free, but some require you to download an app from the iOS App Store or Google Play first.
The first solution is to download and use the app “ Repost for Instagram”, here you can find the steps to follow:
- Download Repost for Instagram for either iOS or Android. Both devices are compatible with this app, which integrates directly with Instagram so you can share content from other Instagram users from your mobile device.
- Once you’re on the photos’ or videos’ landing page on Instagram, tap the “…” icon in the upper-righthand corner of the post. Then, tap “Copy Share URL” (the button will look the same both on iOS and Android devices)
- Once the photo is copied to your phone’s clipboard, open Repost for Instagram. The post you copied will automatically be on the app’s homepage
- Tap “Repost”. Then, tap “Copy to Instagram,” where you can add a filter and edit the post.
How to repost a video on instagram with InstaRepost
Another way to repost on Instagram others’ accounts content, is to use the app InstaRepost. If you want to give it a try, follow the steps below.
- First of all, download InstaRepost for iOS or Android devices to share content from other Instagram users from your own Instagram account via your mobile device.
- Open InstaRepost, log in using your Instagram credentials, and authorize it to access photos, friends, and similar content associated with your Instagram account.
- InstaRepost will only show you a small selection from your Instagram feed. If you know what post you’re looking for, tap the magnifying glass icon on the bottom toolbar of the InstaRepost app to access the Explore tab. Enter the username of the person whose photo you want to repost.
- Once you’ve found a post you want to reshare, tap the arrow in the lower right hand corner. Then, tap “Repost,” then “Repost” again. This will first save the photo to your mobile device’s native camera roll, where you can retrieve it in the Instagram app.
- Navigate to your Instagram app and tap “Library”. You’ll see the post saved to your phone’s camera roll. Tap the photo to pull it into Instagram.
- Edit the post as you would any other. Then, select “Next” and tap the caption field to paste the original caption. The repost won’t automatically include a citation, so we suggest adding one by typing “@ + [username]” to credit the content’s original poster. Then, press “Share.”
How to repost photo on Instagram
Another easy and quick way ,it’s to simply take a screenshot of the content you want to share. This method doesn’t require any or other websites to repost on Instagram.
On the other hand, it’s worth noting that this method only works for reposting photos, not videos. Here’s how to do it:
- Find a photo on Instagram you’d like to repost, and take a screenshot with your phone.
- For iOS: Press down on the home and lock buttons simultaneously until your screen flashes.
- For Android: Press down on the sleep/wake and volume down buttons simultaneously until your screen flashes.
- Tap the new post button in the bottom-center of your Instagram screen. Resize the photo so it’s properly cropped in the Instagram photo editor.
- Edit and filter the post like you would any other Instagram post. Keep in mind that your phone will take a screenshot of everything on your screen, not just the photo you want to repost. So, be prepared to crop the sides of the screenshot to capture just the image you want to share with your followers.
- The repost won’t include a citation, so we suggest adding one by typing “@ + [username]” to credit the original poster with the photo you’re reposting. Then, press “Share.”
Using the methods above – being sure to cite the source of the original post – you’ll be able to reshare your favorite content in your feed in a snap.
How to repost a story on instagram
Some users and especially brands, frequently repost such content onto their main account feed, whereas many others prefer sharing photos and videos made by others, in Instagram stories.
Most Instagram posts made by other accounts can be shared as an Instagram story for your followers to see. This below, is the most used way to share a post made by other people on Instagram and is popular due to its simplicity and how it links back to the original creator.
To repost on your Instagram story, follow the steps below:
- Open the Instagram app on your iOS or Android device and locate the Instagram post you want to share.
- Tap the paper airplane icon and choose “ Add post to your story”
- The post will now appear embedded in a new Instagram story. You can now personalise it, by adding the gifs, text, and music. You can also choose filters or special effects as you would usually do for the stories made with your own content
- We suggest you to tag the original owner of the content, to be sure to cite the source of the original post
- Tap Your Story to publish as a new Instagram story. You can choose here if you want to share it with all your followers or only with a restraint circle of closest friends. You will also be asked if you want to share the story on others linked social media, like as Facebook, if your Facebook page is connected to your Instagram profile.
How to repost on instagram story
If the content you want to repost it on other accounts’ stories and not on the feed, here’s something that you’ll have to think about before trying to share it.
While it’s possible to share almost any kind of post until it is in someone else’s feed, when it takes to sharing some Instagram stories made by others to your followers, there are some requirements that need to be met:
- The account must be public: You will not be able to report a story from a private account, as a private account will only share content with his followers. Logically, it cannot be shared with yours
- The account must have Instagram story sharing enabled : Again, not all the accounts will give the permission to others users to share their content and to repost an Instagram story
- You need to be tagged in the story: Unless you’re tagged in the story, you will not be able to share it on your own account.
- On the other hand, as long as you’re tagged in the story, you don’t need to follow the account to repost one of their Instagram stories.
When you’re tagged in an Instagram story, you’ll receive a DM notifying you. If the account tagging you is public and allows sharing of their content, you should see a link in the message; to repost this story within a news story on your own account.
In this case, tap Add This to Your Story, and then proceed with the instructions from above, customising your story if you want and adding music, tags, gifs, special effects and filters.
How to repost on instagram story if you are not tagged
As we’ve seen above, there are numerous third-party apps letting you repost someone else’s Instagram posts, but unfortunately, there aren’t any that support the reposting of Instagram stories. The only content you will be able to share through those apps will be the one in other accounts’ feed.
However, one way to get around this restriction is to use your device’s screenshot or screen recording features.
As both iOS and Android have a built-in screenshot and screen recording functionality that can be used easily, you would probably be able to repost a screenshot or screen recording without downloading additional apps.
For example, you can take a screenshot of someone else’s Instagram story while you’re watching it, then upload that screenshot to a new story. Likewise, you can use screen recording to record an Instagram story video, then repost that video in your own story.
However, pay attention : when recording someone else’s Instagram story via a screen recording, the recorded video will also contain elements from the Instagram app and overall your screen, such as, for example, the name of the account you’re sharing the content but also personal notifications and comments which will usually not be visibles by others.
You can remove these elements, by using two fingers to move and resize the video while composing your new story, cutting all of them that you don’t want to appear on the screen.
Again, you will be able to totally customize your post, by adding stickers, photo filters, music before reposting on your Instagram account.
How to repost a video and story on instagram app
Though reposting isn’t an official feature of Instagram’s apps or website, it’s something that many brands and users have been doing for a while now. And it’s a tactic that has delivered great success, too.
In fact, this app is used by nearly half of all brands and generates engagement rates that are 10 times higher than Facebook. The app has become an incredibly important network, 48.8% of brands are on Instagram. and learning how to repost on Instagram is their key to taking marketing strategy on the photo-sharing platform to the next level.
Now that you followed our guide on how to repost on Instagram, both in feed and stories, you will be able to fill up your profile with beautiful content and create captivating posts for your audience, just like big brands do. Having a beautiful feed has never been easier.